Wednesday, October 14, 2020 COVID 19 UPDATE
This office will remain operational and will be conducting all business accepting phone calls, emails, faxes and regular mail.
About the Department
The Laurens County Building Codes Department is responsible for ensuring public safety through the enforcement of federal, state, and local codes that govern construction. The department’s staff reviews plans, issues building permits, and performs in-field inspections to ensure building code compliance. The following are common building code compliances:
- Structural Integrity
- Handicap accessibility
- Heating and Air Systems
The primary mission of the Building Codes Department is to protect the health, safety, and welfare of the citizens of Laurens County by ensuring a safe and proper building environment. In order to achieve this goal, the Building Codes Department strives for open communication and cooperation in all inspection matters. Thank you for visiting our Web page and always feel free to contact us.
2018 International Codes Adopted
Beginning January 1, 2020, Laurens County began implementing the following building codes:
- 2018 International Building Code with SC Modifications
- 2018 International Residential Code with SC Modifications
- 2018 International Fire Code with SC Modifications
- 2018 International Plumbing Code with SC Modifications
- 2018 International Mechanical Code SC Modifications
- 2018 International Fuel Gas Code with SC Modifications
- 2009 South Carolina Energy Conservation Code
- 2017 National Electrical Code (NFPA 70) with SC Modifications
Copies of the South Carolina Amendments may be obtained from the South Carolina Building Codes Council. Building permit applications submitted after December 31, 2019, will need to show compliance with these newly adopted codes. Permit applications will be rejected for failing to show compliance with the new code provisions
To provide for the health, safety, and welfare of the general public through the equal enforcement of the adopted codes and ordinances of Laurens County.